Turning 21

Hi Everyone!

So today I'm 21. I'm not sure I feel about it, it's kind of anti climatic if I'm honest. When I was younger I used to always imagine what I'd be like when I was all grown up at 21, what my life would be like and most importantly of course what my 21st birthday party was going to be like. Well...I'm not having a big major bash like I'd always planned, I'm just not really into it anymore. My life is very different to how I'd imagined when I was small and I am so different to the person I thought I'd be. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with my life and who I am, I just can't help but wonder, if six year Erin could have seen into the future and seen who I am today, what would she think ?



Back then of course I wanted to be a famous fashion designer, I still have most of sketches that I used to do at home. I imagined that by now I'd be living in a Penthouse in New York, wearing sparkly dresses and sky high heels every day, sitting in a big bright office in the company that I had built. I imagined that my boyfriend would wear suits everyday and we'd have the most romantic rooftop meals for dinner every night looking over the New York skyline. I'd imagined having the most fabulous cocktail nights with the girls and getting into all sorts of mischief.

Of course none of that has happened, expect having fabulous friends and wild cocktail nights.In reality, I'm not a famous fashion designer, I don't even close to being fashionable. I love makeup, social media, wearing cosy jumpers and my idea of a great night out is going to the cinema. I live in a small apartment in the 'massive' city of Limerick that I share with four other people. My boyfriend doesn't wear a suit everyday he wears tracksuits and chinos. Our fancy dinners include 4 in 1's from the Chinese across the road and occasionally whenever we can afford it, a nice meal in the steakhouse in town and to be honest, I wouldn't change any of it for the world.

SO you see why I'm finding the whole '21st' thing a little anti climatic. It's not that I'm unhappy with my life, I'm so blessed but I guess your 21st is made into a big deal when really it's not. It is in America because now you drink and all of that but here in Ireland, I just don't get it. Maybe I'm just being cynical in my old age haha.

I have learned so much in the last 20 years, I did a full blog post about it HERE. I guess it's kinda nice to look back and realise the amazing life I've had so far and how truly blessed I am to have such outstanding amazing parents like I do, to be lucky enough to have the friends that I have and to be as happy as I am.

Turning 21 feels a bit weird. I swear I woke up this morning with some grey strands of hair and wrinkles under my eyes, so old! Haha I do of course realise that 21 is still very young but I can't help but think of that little girl who used to sit in her room, look up at the neon stars that were stuck to my ceiling and dream of being 21. What would she think of who I have become ?


I hope she'd be proud.


Erin X
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

6 comments:

  1. I think she would say "I knew I was going to be a strong, confident, warm and loving person" You are still reaching for those stars

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely post hun & I think 6 year old you would be very happy & proud ��
    Enjoy your celebrations & the dreams that await you ��

    ReplyDelete

~ Let's Connect ~

Search This Blog

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig