Tips For Painting

If you follow me on Twitter then you'll already know that over the weekend I painted my room. I decided to change my dark room into a light bright room and I am loving the results so far. I still have to redecorate but love the fresh bright colour ( crown fairydust). I learned a few things along the way and thought I'd share them with you !


Grab a painting buddy : This is probably the biggest/most obvious tip, having someone to help you is essential ! It lessens the load and having good company will help the time fly. Before you know it the entire room will be painted !

Clean : Make sure you clean your walls before hand with a damp cloth, you'll be surprised at the amount of dust that gathers on the walls. Also sand down any rough areas, fill in small holes and cracks. This will make the end result look fantastic !

Empty the Room and cover the floor : Sounds obvious but make sure the entire room is empty. It really helps in the long run. Trust me. Cover the floor with old sheets/newspapers or buy a proper floor cover from a hardware store.

Use the Right Tools : Make sure you have all of your paintbrushes and rollers before you begin. I really recommend getting a roller with an extendable pole. It's much easier than climbing up a ladder. A couple of different sized paintbrushes are a good idea too. Also when using a paintbrush, feather like strokes are the best way to go.

Swatch : Before you buy your paint, make sure you test the colours out on the wall first. The colour on the tin will always look different once its on the wall. Most hardware stores do little testers that are only about €2.

Don't Underestimate Time : Painting one room can take numerous days, especially if like me you need to apply a couple of base coats. My walls were previously painted brown so I had to apply a couple of white coats before finally putting the actually colour on the wall.

Prepare Food Before Hand : Similar to my advice above, you'd be surprised how time consuming painting is. The hours will fly by so it's handy to have some food pre made.

Keep a Wet Cloth : keep a damp cloth on hand for any drips that might go on the ground. You'll appreciate it later.



So they were some of my little tips for painting a room. I hope you find them useful.

Erin x
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

~ Let's Connect ~

Search This Blog

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig