At The Box Office Lately

Over the last few months I've found myself at the cinema very regularly. I'd say since December I've been about eight or nine times. I love going to the cinema, It's one of my favourite things to do. I thought since I've seen so many movies recently I'd do a little review of the films I've seen.


1. Unbroken : Before I seen this film, I hadn't seen any trailers so I didn't really know what to expect. It's basically about the life of Olympian Louis Zamberini, who along with two fellow crewmen, survive a near fatal plane crash in WWII and are left in the middle of the ocean for 47 days before being captured by the Japanese navy and held as prisoners in a prisoner of war camp. I absolutely loved this movie ! The strength of this man was unbelievable, It's been nominated for 3 oscar awards and with good reason. It is quite a long movie, but still a very good watch. Angelina Jolie directs this movie and she does a great job. I can't say better things about this film, if you haven't seen it I'd definitely recommend it. 9/10 for me !


2. The Hobbit : I have seen all three lord of the rings movies and I read the hobbit in Junior Cert, I didn't however see the previous two hobbit movies (shame on me I know). I thought I'd be quite lost watching the movie but actually I really wasn't. The story is very well explained throughout the movie and I think even if you had no clue about LOTR or The Hobbit, you'd still really enjoy the movie. It was very enjoyable and probably one of the best action films I've seen in a long time. 7.5/10 for me !



3. The Theory of Everything : A movie about the amazing life of Stephen Hawkings. I was really looking forward to seeing this movie and when I finally did, I was not disappointed ! It truly is an incredible story and the acting is phenomenal. This is definitely one the best films that I've seen in a long time. 9.5/10 for me !


4. Exodus; Gods and Kings :  This film is about Moses and the struggle Hewbrew people had in ancient Egypt. I do think it was a very good depiction of the biblical story but I don't think I'll be rushing out to get it on DVD. Christian Bale plays Moses and does a great job, over all I did really enjoy the movie. 7/10 for me !



5. Kingsman : A fictional story based around a secret government organisation. I actually really liked this movie, it's a good lighthearted funny movie. Colin Firth and Samuel Jackson star in this film, I loved Colin Firth's character but hatednot Samuel Jacksons. It's actually quite good up until the last half an hour, from then on it's almost like a parody James Bond film. Having said that, it was quite funny and I would watch the movie again. 6/10 for me !


 6. Wild : I was very excited to see this film because I love Reese Witherspoon. Unfortunately I was quite disappointed. I loved Reese but I always love her. I felt like the story build itself up for a big ending and then there just wasn't one. I was actually very disappointed and I think, had another actress played Cheryl Strayed instead of Reese, I would probably of hated it. 4/10 for me !


 7. Into The Woods : I really really wanted to like this movie, but I just didn't which is strange because I'm usually obsessed with anything Disney and fairy tales. I almost felt like this movie was a parody. I thought had they ended it half way through it would have been an ok movie but to be honest I just didn't like this movie. I think James Cordon and Meryl Streep were great in it and I loved the fact that it was a musical but it was just missing that Disney feeling for me. 5/10 for me!


8. American Sniper : I went to this movie out of curiosity because of all the controversy it caused. The movie is about the life of Chris Kyle, an american Navy Seal who becomes one of the most lethal snipers in American history. I actually didn't know it was a true story until the end. I really enjoyed the movie, to be honest I don't really get all the controversy. I understand that it's quite bias toward America, but that's how Chris Kyle lived his life so they haven't really done anything wrong in my eyes. Maybe I just got sucked into the propaganda, I'm not sure. I really did like this movie and I'm glad I went to see it. 8/10 for me !



9. The Imitation Game : A story about the life of Alan Turing . The genius man who broke enigma and essential won WWII against Germany. I am just obsessed with this movie, I didn't really have any knowledge about Alan Turing or his work before seeing the film. I think Benedict Cumberbatch was absolutely fantastic. The film is nominated for 8 Oscar awards and it's easy to see why ! I cannot recommend this movie more, it's simply a must see. 9.5/10 for me !


It's quite easy to see that I like documentary style movies or true life films. Have you seen any of these films ? What did you think ?

Erin X


SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

~ Let's Connect ~

Search This Blog

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig